Re: Re:iris-talk OT:Mulch and Rhizome Depth

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re:iris-talk OT:Mulch and Rhizome Depth
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:53:55 EST

Well, maybe not a myth. My initial purpose was to determine what planting
depth produced the greatest increase. Short version of experiment was: I took
3 rhizomes each of 30 different irises and planted at the mentioned depths.
The 1/2 deep plantings produced the greatest increase. No rot was observed in
rhizomes planted at the 1/2 inch depth. It gets pretty wet here rather often
here. Around 55 inches per year. Generally evenly dispersed every fifth day
through out the year. Used the same plants to evaluate nitrogen addition so
may have corupted the data some in that way.
Humidity and temperature are considered high by most people in US.

In some ways plants seem smarter than people. The have the intrensic ability
to determine what circumstances are best for them and seek that enviorenment
as best they can. I believe irises paticularly addept at doing this. If they
need to produce above the soil level, given a little time, they will if they
don't see a need, they stay about half to 3/4 buried.

Have seen irises buried (accidentally) under 8 inches of soil rise to the
top, survive, grow and increase while others "properly" planted adjacent to
them contracted rot. As a whole, iris seem so much tougher than conventional
wisdom suggest. All in all, I suspect a genetic component to rot
susceptibility when certain environmental conditions are encountered.

I'm by no means an expert on any iris subject. I would not recommend my
horticultural practices to anyone. I get so much misinformation I feel
compelled to test all conventional wisdom. But, I am going to continue
planting 1/2 inch deep.

Don't know much about cold, we rarely have 3 consecutive nights below
freezing. But, if that slushy snow stuff don't harm them. Why would dirt?
Push the envelope. Question the conventional.