  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:CULTURE
  • From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:51:39 -0700

I would agree with Isarians who say that Iris rhizomes will grow to their
preferred depth--when I plant--even MDB's, the rhizome is planted under the
ground--I do not measure the depth--but it would be around an inch or
so--and the next spring when I finally have all the snow gone and can go and
look at the beds--most of the MDB's are growing on top of the ground!!  Our
ground freezes to about 6-8 inches--usually--so that even if the rhizome is
below ground, it will be frozen--the most loss we have is when the ground
does not freeze that deep and we have a freeze/thaw cycle many times over
the winter--that is harder on the rhizomes and usually does away with many
of them--(that is when the ground also heaves badly)   So I agree with
Irisarians who say that most Iris are hardy--the ones which survive are!!!!!
Carryl in western Montana--bright and sunny today  zone 3/4

Monitoring Service trial