Re: SPEC: reticulata clumps

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC: reticulata clumps
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:53:08 -0500

Janet Natale in SC said:
<You're lucky, you get enough cold for them to multiply, I have to
replant every year...>

Maybe the warmth has something to do with it, but these were an
experiment after Bill Shear & some others said they don't persist
usually for long.  We had some discussion about what their natural
habitat was & how they grew there.  As I recall, their natural
environment is river bottoms/floodplains - rich, somewhat sandy
alluvium.  So I figured they needed deep, loose, organic, somewhat sandy
soil & made a raised bed about a foot thick for them.  Don't you wish I
could remember how many I planted so I'd know how many are still alive &
multiplying? <g>

These clumps are in contrast to the ones I'd planted in previous years.
Maybe not a fair comparison since they are a different
color/cultivar/species/hybrid, but it seems like about the same
percentage persisted from the original planting, but none have
multiplied like these have.  For what it's worth...

Experiment - it's fun.  Even the failures are interesting.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.