Edith Wolford [was Wal Mart Iris]

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Edith Wolford [was Wal Mart Iris]
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:17:34 -0700

Could be climate or soil makes a difference?  I have Edith Wolford, and it
is one of my toughest, fastest growing, and best flowering Iris.
Comparable to many of the old Historics, better than many.  I'm in central
NM with granite derived clay soil and lots of granite gravel and lime in
the soil (PH difficult to get a good read on, but probably around 8 to
8.5?).  Fairly mild sunny dry winters but freezing nights and some severe
cold; hot (highs mostly in the 90's) dry spring and summer with cool
nights, and some rain in summer and fall (and today! - yippy!).  Probably
about 10 inches annually (a lot less since I've been here though).  VERY
windy.

Translate into - I water at least twice a week in summer, and at least
every couple of weeks in the winter.

Edith Wolford did pretty well, but slower growth and somewhat less bloom in
near neutral (PH about 7.5 to 8) nutrient poor sand at my previous house
too (a bit colder, hotter, and drier there - averaged about 4 inches per
year for 20 years).  Not very windy there.

Dave - probably Zone 8a, but not sure yet (on the line of 6b / 7a at the
old house).