Re: re: meauring

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] re: meauring
  • From: Vicki vicki_c@attbi.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:13:45 -0800

Okay guys,
I have the judges handbook, I can read. What I am simply looking at is
the fact that the overall bloom size does NOT exceed the class
requirements.  If the greatest distance of any fall from the center of
the flower doubled, plus the height of the bloom, does not exceed the
class requirements, then the bloom is within the class.  As the falls
are offset from each other, the distance between the tips would be less,
not greater,  than if they were opposite.  If you have a bloom with
cascading falls as opposed to semi flared, or flared, the folding ruler
may be held even with the lowest point on the fall  and the height can
be read on the vertical. ( L)  Remember, we turn the rule on it's side.
I love a good discussion! (:-) When we register our iris we DO measure
by the book!
This is just a shortcut for me to learn right away if the bloom may meet
a certain class. The greater width of most of our small blooms makes
them look larger than they actual measurement.
I wish you all a beautiful day!
The iris in the Pacific Northwest are growing as are the weeds. No snow
this winter, just a little frost.  Looks like a bonus year, great
increase showing.  Our garden will be on tour for the Median Iris meet,
both the Spring Regional this year and the National next year.
Hopefully, some of the iris-photo members will be able to tour our
northwest gardens. i.e. Paul Black's/Tom Johnson's, Keith Keppel's and
Terry Aitken's plus other host gardens.
Have a good day, gentlemen!
Vicki