Luminata/ Variegata? or None of the Above (photo size)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Luminata/ Variegata? or None of the Above (photo size)
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:26:00 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:26:00 -0700

By the way, the original photo size was just fine for me.  I wouldn't think a 75kb photo attachment would cause complaints from anyone.  It is large enough to be clear, but small enough not to even fill the screan on a regular popup size email page (at least through the services I've used).

Actually, anything under 400kb is no problem, but the larger, the slower the download (a 400kb photo generally takes about 20 seconds on a 24kps connection).  These also tend to fill up mail boxes for people with small capacities (I think 10 meg is a pretty common limit now though, and it is no problem there, barely makes a dent).  The photos much over 100kb get bigger than the screen, and a 400 kb image is quite huge indeed, with most email software they have to be resized, but that's no big deal.  Even so, I think 100kb and under is a good rule of thumb (sometimes I forget to shrink them, and get some mild chewing out too - I don't do it very often, so it's easy to forget some of the steps).  How to shrink them depends on the software you are using, but it's usually easy.  Often you can open the file and simply follow the options for sizing while saving a copy to a new file (be careful not to replace the original when you save it), and then you can just attach the smaller version.  You can then delete the smaller file if you don't want to keep it.  Often the email software will let you do it when you are attaching the file to the email.

I have a dial-up connection, and I am very lucky to get a 26kps connection (that's the fastest I have ever gotten here).  Generally it runs about 21 to 24kps, and if it's lower than 19, I disconnect immediately and start over (believe it or not, it will connect as slow as 3kps, but I can't do anything with that speed, may as well not be connected at all).

Funny, all this fancy hardware and software would handle thousands of kps - oh well.  Maybe we'll get a wireless connection some day.

I was visiting my parents over the holidays, and they were apologizing about the slow computer speed.  It was about 100mps, believe it or not dial-up, and Rebecca and I were so used to a really slow connection that to even call that slow seemed amazing (my dad is spoiled by a very fast network system at work).  To me, waiting a fraction second or two for a graphics filled animated web page to load is - well - not slow.

Dave

 - from original message -

"Sorry Colleen, I think the picture is about 75kb,oops, and I don't have a clue how to shrink it down."

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=367503643

Yahoo! Groups Links