Re: Spuria Identification/checklist

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Spuria Identification/checklist
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Info about Spuria checklist.

Yes there is an illustrated Spuria Checklist. A draft
was shown at the St. Louis Convention last May. I
tried to tell everyone that there was about 3 months
work required to finish the project but unfortunately
the message did not get around. Projected publication
was for last September. But life intervened and
shortly after convention my mother was diagnosed as in
acute heart failure and I had to care for her with the
aid of hospice nurses giving me guidance. After her
death I was left with caring for her brother since she
was his primary care giver. That meant that it was not
until September that I could return to finishing it
and with the responsibility for my uncle work was
slow. I apologize to anyone who had expected a copy
sooner and also to those who received a copy since if
there had not been the pressure to publish the book
would have been more polished. Nonetheless a few
facts. If I would have gone to a commercial printer
each copy would have cost over $100. Presently the
Spuria Society makes about $5-10 per copy depending on
postage costs and the rest is cost of materials, ink,
paper, etc. My goal was to produce an archival quality
illustrated list. It is the first such for any Iris. I
do not expect many to be made, so it is numbered and a
collectors item. So far I have only received 36
requests and they are all filled. It takes me about a
week to produce 12 copies. I was in the process of
creating an extra twelve when I got to the last few
pages and my imaging drum expired. It took me a week
to find another. Since it is horribly time consuming
creating each book I do not hope for a runaway best
seller. Indeed, averaging a dozen a month, is about
all I can handle. I am hoping to have a couple dozen
available at convention. Since each copy costs me
about $30 in materials and, even if I had time,  I am
not anxious to create a large inventory. Joanne Miller
is treasurer of the Spuria Society and is accepting
orders at $45 each. I would like to encourage
photographers and hybridizers to send me photos that I
can archive for a later supplement and/or a revised
edition in a year or two or more. Since the primary
goal was to create an historical archive, poor photos
were used if no better were available. This book
gathers together info about spurias that goes farther
than a commercially viable project would allow. I hope
future irisarians will be glad for the information and
forgive the imperfections.