Re: TB: FIRESIDE GLOW (Schreiners 1988)--with photo!

  • Subject: Re: TB: FIRESIDE GLOW (Schreiners 1988)--with photo!
  • From: mike theissen <miketheissen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 05:43:06 -0800 (PST)

Kent---You should collect the complete Dykes medal winners from 1927 thru 2006 this would give you a unique look at how the Iris have been evolved to todays look. I had all of them untill 2 years ago. I moved due to job and downsized my Iris collection. I now have about 350 varieties, consisting of MDB,SDB,MTB.IB,BB,TB,SIB.,SPEC. I hope to get some seedling pictures to post this spring.  Mike

Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.net> wrote:
Mike, I think I have over 300 cultivars, over 400 plants, mostly from $1 sales
at online sellers, a couple Utah Iris Society sales, and one particularly
generous Utah irisarian (who occasionally posts to the talk list). They're
almost all first- or second-year plants, so most haven't bloomed yet, and a
fair number that did try to bloom last year were hit by a late frost (about
the beginning of June). It seems like an awful lot of plants to me, but when
I compare it to the wish lists I've started a couple times, and some of the
other gardens I've heard of, it seems more like a good start.

I've tried to get a variety of beardeds of all sizes and eras. Haven't tried
species irises or arils yet; may well try some that would do well here with
the cold and little water. I'd like to have more medians and dwarfs, more
talls from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, especially the color blends that hardly
exist in more modern irises, and some of the really cool new ones I can't
afford. I'll pick them up a few years from now.

Glad you're liking the photos. It helps to appreciate the flowers to keep
track of them enough to photograph them. We'll see if I manage to photograph
the ones that bloom this year. I enjoy seeing the other photos here. Amazing
how much irises are changing.

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah
zone 4/5, about 6,000 feet

Kent-how many Iris do you grow? And what all kinds do you grow? I have enjoyed
seeing the pictures you post. You seem to have a pretty good collection of
Iris. Mike

Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.net> wrote:

Was quite orange last year. This shot was taken in the morning, so the light
was fairly neutral.

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah
zone 4/5, about 6,000 feet

Note on color: The photo was processed on my Mac, which means that while it
looks right on my screen, it's likely to look a little darker, with more
saturated color, possibly shifted a bit more red, on the typical PC monitor.
This isn't a defect in either type of monitor, just a typical difference.

Be a PS3 game guru.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group