Re: Photo info comp question???

  • Subject: Re: Photo info comp question???
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:36:13 -0800

Depending on the photo program, you can append customized information
to the existing information already contained in the file.

Photoshop allows you to Replace or Append data to a picture form a
standard file. If you do this a lot, you can conveniently record a
Macro the will do the operation automatically for you. You could also
construct the macro to place you at the place where you type in the
location of the picture (I hate slang) and whatever other information
you wish. (Macros are really easy to do and if you goof the first one
up, you just delete it and record again)

Check the help file of the photo program you use.

What follows is from Photoshop Help after searching for EXIF:

File information--also called metadata--is increasingly important in
all types of publishing. Adobe Photoshop supports the information
standard developed by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) and
the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) to identify
transmitted text and images. This standard includes entries for
captions, keywords, categories, credits, and origins.

In Windows, you can add file information to files saved in Photoshop,
TIFF, JPEG, EPS, and PDF formats. In Mac OS, you can add file
information to files in any format. The information you add is embedded
in the file using XMP (eXtensible Metadata Platform). XMP provides
Adobe applications and workflow partners with a common XML framework
that standardizes the creation, processing, and interchange of document
metadata across publishing workflows.

To enter information about a file:

1. Choose File > File Info.
2. For Section, select an option for the information you want to enter:

General

Lets you enter title, author, caption, copyright information, and the
owner's URL. To display a copyright symbol in the title bar of the
image window, choose Copyrighted Work in the Copyright Status menu. If
Photoshop detects a Digimarc watermark in the image, the Copyright
Notice section is automatically updated.

Note: To print the caption under an Adobe Photoshop image, choose File
> Print with Preview, and select Caption. Then print as usual.
(See Setting output options for more information.)

Keywords

Provides a way for some image browsers to categorize and search for an
image. To add an entry to the keywords list, type in the text box, and
click Add. To replace a keyword, select the word in the list, type its
replacement, and click Replace. To delete a keyword, select the word,
and click Delete.

Categories

Lets you enter a three-letter Associated Press code. (Where available,
the Associated Press regional registry maintains a list of categories.)
To include the image in supplemental categories, type the code, and
click Add. To replace a category, select the code, type its
replacement, and click Replace. To delete a category, select the code,
and click Delete.

Origin

Provides information on the history of the image. To enter the current
date in a short text format, click Today. For Credit, enter the
information needed in the credit line for a copyrighted image.
Transmission Reference provides the Associated Press with information
on the original transmission location of the image. For Urgency,
specify the editorial urgency of the image--not its handling priority.

EXIF

Displays information imported from a digital camera, such as the date
and time the picture was taken, resolution, ISO speed rating, f/stop,
compression, and exposure time. For more information about EXIF
annotations, see your digital camera documentation.

To load, save, or append file information:

In the File Info dialog box, do one of the following:
* Click Load to replace the current information with information stored
in a File Info file. You can load either an XMP file or an FFO file
created by a previous version of Photoshop.
* Click Save to save the current file information in an XMP file for
later use.
* Click Append to add information stored in a File Info file to the
current file information. For each File Info field, if the field does
not contain information then it will be updated with contents from the
file. Caption and Keywords will always be appended with the information
from the file.

John

__._,_.___
Recent Activity