Re: Hyb; maternal effect

  • Subject: Re: Hyb; maternal effect
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:28:58 -0500

This is the third attempt to send this message WITH photo attached.  Previous ones seem to have disappeared into the vapor.  Hope the third time's a charm.  --  Griff
This is TORCHLIGHT PARADE (Reg, 2001).  It was among 40-some seedlings
salvaged after a neighboring farmer disced 2 years' worth of seedlings that
I was growing on leased land.  The markers had been scattered or destroyed,
so its precise parentage was lost.  However, from what I had been doing in
my breeding program, I knew that it had WABASH on one side.  The other
parent was probably KAHILI, but one could only say that it was an unknown
variegata.  At any rate, it didn't bloom for 10 years.  During that time it
was moved once, from full sun to a semi-shaded area.  Finally, it bloomed,
but never giving more than two buds.  Eventually, I moved it to full sun
again.  It began to increase rapidly, sending up many stalks, with as many
as 11 buds.  That year, it took "best seedling" at the Fredericksburg Area
Iris Society show.

It has never set seed, and until 2004, I was unable to get any pollen from
it.  Then I was able to coax some mushy pollen out of it and, much to my
surprise, got a pod on a seedling that I consider important.  It produced 10
seeds, of which 6 germinated.  True to their heritage, they haven't bloomed
yet.  But I'm patient.  --  Griff

Yahoo! News

Politics debate?

Get the latest