Re: [iris]: HYB: Rebloom-Sweeter Than Wine

  • Subject: Re: [iris]: HYB: Rebloom-Sweeter Than Wine
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 23:30:40 -0500

Betty -- As to the rings, you've caused me to go back and look at a number
of my seedlings, and the answer is, yes, whenever I have gotten white or
near-white rings, there have been rings on both sides of the cross, usually
the parents. That's not proof of the theory, but it comports with it. When
I have crossed Sweeter Than Wine with cultivars having no rings in their
backgrounds, I have gotten no rings in the seedlings. In one case (G953X7,
attached), of which Sweeter Than Wine was the pollen parent, I had to go
back several generations on the other side, through Spirit of Memphis to
Halloween Party, before I found it, and it was yellow. I think you may find
it interesting:

HALLOWEEN PARTY

(J. Gibson, R. 1970) Sdlg. 44-4C. TB, 32" (81 cm), EM & RE
S. rich yellow with light mahogany veining; F. white ground with yellow
rim, mahogany spots on inner side of rim; yellow beard; ruffled. 30-2 PLC:
brown plicata sdlg. X 22-2 PLA: brown plicata sdlg. Avonbank 1970

I like Sweeter Than Wine a lot, but it's not quite an amoena, because its
standards are not really white. It has Latin Lady, Latin Lover, Whole Cloth
and Wine and Roses in its background, so, as far as I can tell, its heritage
is of dominant amoenas. Like so many, if not most, of the Whole Cloth
derivatives, however, the standards of Latin Lady and Latin Lover are also
almost, but not quite, white.

I think that Sweeter Than Wine also has something small in its background,
because I sometimes get really small border beardeds from a Sweeter Than
Wine cross. -- Griff