Re: Re: Iris ignominy

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Iris ignominy
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:07:36 -0800

On Jan 20, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Robt R Pries wrote:

> Catherine Button <cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com>wrote:
> Robert,
> Isn't this really a question for the AIS? Is it the AIS you are really
> trying to encourage to change to follow this supposed standard in the
> Bulletin, online in their web pages, and/or other publications?
> If so, it is somewhat simple to change the variety name to the mixed
> upper and lower case form and then use bold to make it stand out in
> written form (assuming future use only)

I am not going to comment on the use of all Caps or Title Case for the
cultivar names, however I do think that putting the cultivar names in
boldface is not a good idea from a typrographic point of view. You
would end up in a lot of cases with lot of black spots (words)
scattered all over the page. I can tell you from experience that it
looks terrible and is very distracting.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society