  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] 2000-S
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:55:59 -0800 (PST)

I've shown a lot of SDB crosses but I make TB crosses as well.  I have a line that I have been working with from the very start.  One of my very first crosses was (Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks) because I had an interest in Spaceage/plicata forms.  I had been reading Monty Byers catalog and found his work and style of writing fun.  He used 'Sky Hooks' a lot so I thought that I'd start there.
I got 57 plants that year.  Most of which were with yellow coloring. They had fairly decent form, nothing really to get excited about, but this was one of my first crosses.
Some had horns, usually the ones with very bad form.....but one opened that had vibrant orange standards, orange style arms, and orange ground falls with a hafty blush of lavender/purple over most of the falls.  The beard was bright tangerine and had a horn.  Not only was the form good but the branching was the best of all the seedlings.  It was also very fertile.
Keith Keppel had just released 'Fancy Woman' and I got it the first year that I could.
I made many crosses and got just a few shy of 200 seeds.  Of those seeds, 126 of them germinated.  In the spring of 2002 the seedlings (1094-B x Fancy Woman ) started to bloom (this was before the digital camera) and they were amazing. There were a lot of orange/purple clones reaching for the plicata but not hitting the mark... there were some with slight luminata veining, but in combination with plicata hafts all with the  orange influence...Three were with white standards and a blue wash in the falls, but none of these were any good with branching. I had a few with pink stands and white falls that were marked only slightly with plic markings on the hafts.  Most had tangerine beards, few had horns and when they did they were the ones that had many other faults.  I had been very interested with the results, but not grabbed by 'the one'.  Then 2000-S bloomed.   It was pink ( with a little salmon/cream in the shoulders) sporting yellow beards. When it first opened I saw something I hadn't really expected. The falls were washed with a very definite lavender luminta wash.....There were some plic haft markings along with the orange/ cream influence around the shoulders, but I was thrilled at the results.  This was a pinkish ground Luminata/Plic!  The branching was very good and the growth excellent.  It was not exhibiting horns that first year, but in following years some flowers have had horns. (Not anything consistent, but they were there in the genes.)  I started to make crosses on it right away, but because I had moved many of the plants the year before, there were no plics or luminatas blooming.  I also hesitated using sib crosses because of the horn on horn crosses resulting in heavy mutations, but I did cross it to the best branched sib that I had.( I have 17 plants growing as a test and these should bloom this spring ).....  The next year it rained for weeks when it was in bloom and could never get any decent pollon from it.  I did have the brief chance to make a cross to my Median Glaciata (Chubby Cheeks x Fancy Woman) but this year only had seven seeds to plant....These are seven seeds I will be watching very closely.  The one unfortunate thing about the bloom is that after the flower has been open for a few hours the luminata wash almost disappears.  I know that its there and will keep chasing  it with crosses to other luminatas.  I'll  make as many back crosses to 'Fancy Woman' and other types like it, as I can.  Here's to a good season......

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links