Re: Re: 1094 D

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: 1094 D
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:09:27 -0800 (PST)

Margie Valenzuela <IrisLady@comcast.net> wrote:
Paul,

I love 1094-D.  The way it almost glows - - is it possible that it's an orange luminata?  The veining, the edges, and the background in the falls seem to be an orange, washed lavender blue.  Or possibly a lumi-plic?  Or a lumi-plic bi-color?  Did you say this was a TB?  It is breathtaking!

Margie:
   Thank you for the notice of my posting.  1094-D is a cross of (Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks)  so it is TB. 'Sky Hooks' is not a plicata, but has plic in its blood line which is why I thought the cross was worth the effort in the first place.  This cross was also made before I knew how difficult and long the journey to a plicata would be..'Queen in Calico' has long been a favorite of mine and I have since noticed that many other hybridizers have gotten wonderful things from it.  'Sky Hooks' was the star breeder for Monty Byers, and as a budding pollen dauber I listened to his every word...I dare to say that he was right....(this leads me to thinking that perhaps there could be awards for the best Spaceage Iris of the year and that it could be the Byers Award...the Byers Medal....the Monty Award or perhaps the Full Monty Award : )   just a thought, but we do owe much to him despite his short time with us...and it seems that this direction of evolution is just beginning....(I do acknowledge that Austin was the first to really force this line into being...) so please don't get upset with me....
but back to what I was saying...
A cross between these two Iris is extremely unlikely to produce anything close to a plic.and even less likely to produce a luminata...Luminatas are recessive of plics and plics are recessive of full color.....So in the long about way No I don't think that it is any of the combinations that you suggest, but I do not know the gene count....Luminata is out (visually) because of the array of haft lines.  And hafts do not make a plic....My take on both of the clones that I saved out of that cross was that they are carriers of the baton of plic...excuse me for the odd use of language at times, but I don't like to be too serious and it IS very early in the morning.....My favorite time of day.....
I saved these clones because they had the best form of all that bloomed from this cross, and the best branching...and also because they were tangerine bearded, (recessive) and of the carotenoid _expression_....meaning they were pinks and oranges(recessive)....Plus I was intrigued by the blush (as you noted)of what appears visually to be bluish or purple tones underneath...I think sometimes this almost makes the flowers look bruised. Anyway, I have a theory, and it is only mine and could be way off the mark, but I have been testing to see if the mutations that result from the space age offspring could be handled by using clones from the horned line, but do NOT express the horned features....carriers of the trait, but not such that they exhibit it ....There are many things that I like about these two seedlings but the most important for me is that they have grown both in Atlanta and DC and have never rotted or given me trouble of any kind.  (This is sometimes the case with wide crosses...Mules they call them..)  Though mules are usually sterile these seedlings are fertile, but  1094-D is tricky and takes effort to get seeds from....Its pollen is even harder but it can result in some seed...My seedling 2000-S was back crossed to 1094-D not to find luminatas but to hopefully strengthen some of the traits that I liked from the original cross....'Fancy Woman' seedlings can and have for me, been a little soft in some departments...meaning some rot for me, but that is going to be expected when you are working with recessives and moving genes around.  Many genes move that we cannot see, but only experience over time and climate.  I hope to strengthen the line and pick the best to come, hoping that horns appear along the way on one of the better seedlings. Either way it will be a learning experience....thanks Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here