Re: RE: Seedling 1000-B

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] RE: Seedling 1000-B
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:48:27 -0800 (PST)

Paul Hill origionally wrote:

Chubby Cheeks x Chanted) This cross was just to see what would happen if two great Iris were crossed....

>Fascinating. I would use this in my breeding program. Its a ringed plicata, like the lines I'm working. Now I know that both 'Chubby Cheeks'and 'Chanted can be used crossed with my lines.
Your seedling has a very narrow yellow rim on standards and fall sand a luminata plicata wash in center. All in pastel as with 'Chubby Cheeks'. Try crossing this with luminata SDB or TB for that matter or the other ringed luminata seeding you posted, if you still have it.
Great genetic potential here , particularly as it has two tangerine genes and possibly three as CC carries t

Chuck:  Thanks for the insight with this seedlings ....I see the plic, but never saw it as a luminata at all. Still not sure what you mean....The patterns are all so mixed together it takes a real eye to see the independent parts....I see the ring and got many with that feature among the seedlings.  I'll enclose another th! at had the strongest ring effect...but in brown mixed with the purple/blue coloring...It flares a bit too much and I have not made up my mind about it...need to see it another year...(I was scrolling down the Iris talk site archives and found your article on glaciata/luminata gene relationship....found it really interesting)  You are further north than where I have relocated my garden.  It's at my parents home near the Ithaca area....glad to see that you are able to hybridize that far north....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Paul

I plan to cross the 1000-B to the lines you suggested and already have it back crossed to Chanted.  I'll also enclose a photo of a seedling that is 1100-FG:((Chubby Cheeks x (Chanted x Fairy Lore)  This has the most incredible form and great branching.  It almost looks like a TB in form, but is only 14" tall.  Again not a finished flower color wise but I sense it to be a great breeding potential....

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor