Re: Seedling 1000-B

"J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Paul Hill origionally wrote:
>
>Chubby Cheeks x Chanted) This cross was just to see what would happen if two
>great Iris were crossed....

>>Fascinating. I would use this in my breeding program. Its a ringed plicata,
>>like the lines I'm working. Now I know that both 'Chubby Cheeks'and
>>'Chanted can be used crossed with my lines.
>Your seedling has a very narrow yellow rim on standards and fall sand a
>luminata plicata wash in center. All in pastel as with 'Chubby Cheeks'. Try
>crossing this with luminata SDB or TB for that matter or the other ringed
>luminata seeding you posted, if you still have it.
>Great genetic potential here , particularly as it has two tangerine genes
>and possibly three as CC carries t
>--
>Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Zone 4/5
>
>Chuck:  Thanks for the insight with this seedlings ....I see the plic, but
>never saw it as a luminata at all. Still not sure what you mean....The
>patterns are all so mixed together it takes a real eye to see the
>independent parts....I see the ring and got many with that feature among the
>seedlings.  I'll enclose another that had the strongest ring effect...but in
>brown mixed with the purple/blue coloring...It flares a bit too much and I
>have not made up my mind about it...need to see it another year...(I was
>scrolling down the Iris talk site archives and found your article on
>glaciata/luminata gene relationship....found it really interesting)  You are
>further north than where I have relocated my garden.  It's at my parents
>home near the Ithaca area....glad to see that you are able to hybridize that
>far north....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Paul
>
>I plan to cross the 1000-B to the lines you suggested and already have it
>back crossed to Chanted.  I'll also enclose a photo of a seedling that is
>1100-FG:((Chubby Cheeks x (Chanted x Fairy Lore)  This has the most
>incredible form and great branching.  It almost looks like a TB in form, but
>is only 14" tall.  Again not a finished flower color wise but I sense it to
>be a great breeding potential....

It took me a fair while to see what it was myself.
The last ones you posted with brown rim are related but I don't call them
ringed plicatas as the brown is a blend of yellow and blue/violet. I classify
the ones with yellow rims and blue in center as ringed plicatas.
One of the characteristics seen with luminatas is the fading of colour at the
rim. The brown rim are yellow rims with regular plicata and definatly closely
related. The problem with the ringed plicata is the prescence of haft marks
which I see as coming from the yellow rather then the anthocyanin. Jury is
out on this.  Could cross the brown rimed with yellow rimmed but may loose
the luminata pattern.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511