Re: Question

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Question
  • From: "The Lobergs" loberg@adelphia.net
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:55:36 -0800

As you have guessed, it is not good to have bearded irises in standing water.   If it were 24 hours and then it stayed drained I don't think it would hurt them for a one time occurance.  But for long periods, you're in for trouble.  Is there any way to improve drainaige for your whole back yard?  Another long term solution is to get all of your irises up into raised beds.   It could be either just raised dirt, or it could be planter boxes.  Winter is not a particularly good time for moving, unless you can lift everything including all root and minimize root disterbance.    You probably wouldn't hurt them too much in southern california... I've been able to move irises any time of the year in northern Calif, however, when you move in the winter, the root disterbance will likely result in no bloom the next spring season.   So my suggestion is to get them into raised beds instead of pots as soon as possible.
Kitty Loberg
I was wondering how long iris can be in water without rotting.  My
backyard had not drained and now it is raining again.  Next Millenium
is under an inch and a half.  Should I dig them up and pot them?  We
never have this much rain; I am bottom man on the hill and get runoff
for two to three days after the rain.

Kitty Johnston
Ojai, CA

Yahoo! Groups Links