Re: RE: Yellow plicatas and Timewarp

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: Yellow plicatas and Timewarp
  • From: Walter Pickett waltseed2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:42:44 -0800 (PST)

irischapman@netscape.net wrote
Facts are facts, theories try to explain facts, if they don't then we need another explanation. I have accepted these facts to mean that we can have carotenoid pigment distributed exactly like anthocyanin apparently controlled by the same factor. You don't check out something that you don't believe in its existence so this hasn't been researched as it doesn’t exist, right? Well my first thoughts were that perhaps the yellow was a flavanoid so I checked this out. That is not the case, it really is an oil based yellow pigment, not water based. Currently I'm trying to find out if we can call on a structural explanation. That is a difference in the cell structure  that somehow prevents any pigment from being present. It seems to be related to  the original genes from Iris variegata where we can and do have both water based and oil based pigments distributed exactly the same way, 100 percent matching. You can't have this if one gene controls yellow and one controls violet, there is no way then can be aligned this precisely.
--Together with the photo, it seems that the same pattern is indeed being contoled together, with two different pigments.

Saying "By definition, a plicata must  contain anthocyanin!”is an attempt to define it out of existence.
---I would say rather that some want to continue to use plicata in a former limited sense.  That isn't defining it out of existance.
  I don't usually get bent out of shape over words, myself.  But it would appear from the photo that the gene for anthocyanin and the gene for carotenoids are here being switched on and off together.  To me it seems logical to therefore include both colors in the same term, the origional term, plicata.
Sorry for the long rant...........
---Less a rant than a lecture.  Lecture ion the sense of a college professor giving a lecture.  The main difference being in the number of students dozing off.
Don't apologise for taking as long as it takes to present your case.
Walter