Re: CULT: rebloom

  • Subject: Re: CULT: rebloom
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:10:37 -0500

I hadn't thought of that, Margie, but it seems like a good idea.  It would certainly be eye-catching.  I'm putting it on the to-do list.

By the way, here's what else I was going to say about rebloom:

When I cut irises and bloom them in vases in the spring, I haven't paid any attention to the length of bloom, since they are usually fully matured stalks when cut.
This past fall, however, when the threat of freezes forced me to cut "green" stalks and bring them in, I have watched their performance with particular interest.  It is maintained by some that if a bud is showing color when the stalk is cut, that bud will bloom at its normal size.  Nothing I have seen causes me to disagree with that.
What has surprised me, though, is the fact that almost all the stalks that I cut when none of their buds were showing color and, indeed, when the stalks themselves were not near their regular full height, have bloomed not just one, but several flowers over a period of weeks.  Yes, the flowers were somewhat smaller than they would have been in the garden, but they were sufficiently well-proportioned to grace the table at both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I think the critical factor in this has been the keeping of them in an unheated room, where they have received only a few minutes of early-morning sunlight, but plenty of light otherwise.  I reported a few weeks ago that two first-year rebloomers that I cut green and placed in the sunniest room in the house didn't fare all that well.  One of them withered without blooming; the other put out one nice bloom, but no more.  Meantime, stalks of other varieities cut the same day were doing fine in the unheated room.  Two of those stalks were of HAUNTING.  I posted a photo of one of them yesterday, just to document the fact that it was blooming a full month after being cut.  The bloom was fragrant and pleasing to look at, but far from the large, showy bloom that one ordinarily sees in the garden at Halloween.  After photographing it, I left the one stalk sitting out in its vase on a work table in the carport with temperatures in the upper 60's.  The other stalk was in the unheated room (but now also at the upper 60's temperature), sporting a bloom just ready to open.  Late in the afternoon, I saw that the stalk of the iris in the carport had bent double, and the bloom was face-down on the table.  On bringing it inside to trim it, I found that the stem of the flower on the stalk left inside had done the same thing, so the bloom was lost.

So, what's the point of all this?  Perhaps something that some of you already know, but which was new to me.  That is, that fall-blooming iris can be cut before freezing, even if no color is showing, and their bloom enjoyed for weeks, if kept in water in a cool room without direct sunlight.  --  Griff