Re: Re:Let't improve the register!

  • Subject: Re: Re:Let't improve the register!
  • From: Jack Carter <jackcarter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:54:00 -0800 (PST)

I am not a fluent as the Dutch are in other languages,
but my forays in German, French and Spanish have made
it clear that there is often no direct translation
from one language to another, especially when it comes
to a artistic description.

It would seem to me that over time there will be a
need to increase the name space exponentially and
using different languages would be an ideal method
since iris folks tend to like non-boring alphanumeric
classifications such as ru-125,sf-398 which if done
with a globally excepted code that describes a
particular plant's color (colour ;-)) and qualities,
would help enormously in catagorization, sorting and
search. Not much fun for the sellers that peddle
partially in romance though.

I relatively new to this hobby, so if there is already
a coded name that goes with romantic one, great!

The problem will come with mixing different alphabets.
I'm not sure how arabic will come across.

That said, attached (hopefully) is a picture of the TB
iris that have been in my yard for decades and has
survived untold abuse and still thrives. No clue of
its name though. Anyone know?

Jack Carter

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group