Re: Ring Around Rosie

  • Subject: Re: Ring Around Rosie
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:20:58 -0500

Betty, Hugh Thuman showed a photo of RING AROUND ROSIE at one of the Feb
Henry Horton potluck slide shows. I asked if anyone grew it and, if so,
what kind of performer it is in our climate. Phil Williams said it was
strong and healthy for him, & while I know he has a tendency to say that
about things that croak as soon as they see my version of iris hell, I
figured it was worth a try and bought a start of it from him.

It has done well, surviving and blooming, even in the record spring mess
of 2007, is even pollen fertile here. As you might guess, it's a fairly
late bloomer here.

Before you ask me for a start of it, keep in mind by "doing well" here,
I mean it is still alive, blooms, and manages to replace itself each
year :-)

A few seedlings from it bloomed last year - yuch. I don't think I
even took photos. Too many median genes for sure.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8