Re: Broken Colour # 5

  • Subject: Re: Broken Colour # 5
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:24:39 -0500

To answer you questions I've included pictures from some seedlings from
Toucan Tango X Ring Around Rosie. Of about 12 ssedlings I got two
classic plicatas. I've included one here. As it is a reddish tone, we
can tell it has a combination of cartenoid yellow as well as
anthocyanin. Its shading of tone would suggest that the yellow is in a
rim as in both parents. The other classic plicata is similar but in
shades of mid purple becoming rosy purple at edge.

In the cross of Understudy with RAR I would have expected that if half
the offspring had the yellow, then there would be half with a reddish
lavender on white rather then a light lavender which is without yellow

In the cross of TT X RAR, about 1/4 had no yellow pigment, suggesting
to me that both TT and RAR had only one dominant gene for producing
yellow (cartenoid pigment). This yellow sjhould have shown up in
Understudy X RAR offspring. This suggests something else going on with
yellow in this cross. A new mystery.

In the cross of TT X RAR, we do have one sedling with yellow on falls
but it sill has ryellow in rim on Standards. This suggest to me that
the rim presentation only shows as rim with rim recessive genes plus
only one Y gene. Two Y genes sees t ohave given us the one with yellow
falls and yellow rimmed Standard. Of course all of this is speculation.

The cross also tells me that probably TT a
nd RAR both have one "I"
gene. This is one possible interpretation of results.

It also show that the Broken colour of TT and others of this type
probably have one "I" gene and that splashes of purple in these cases
are from some source such as possibly being in the "I" gene in this

One of the seedlings from this patch of seedlings had a few odd
splashes of purple. The form of the flower was nightmarish, so photo
wasn't included. The interpretation I have made is that the one "I"
with transposon produced the BC while the other "I" from RAR removed
anthocyanin without the splashes and if there were two "I" genes that
one from RAR would dominate.

Understudy appears to me to have the anthocyanin enhancement gene (Ae)
that I have talked about, probably related to the production of
Anthocyanin Vascular Intrusions (AVI) . Thus the Ae would counteract
the "I" gene, which is what seems to happen. Given enough offspring
from Understudy X RAR I would expect to see a seedling without
anthocyanin, when it doesn't have Ae and has "I"

Again the lack of any cartenoids in the cross of Understudy X RAR is

I hope this answers your questions.

I'd like to here from other people what results they got from PAR

Chuck Chapman

Re: Digest Number 5053

Posted by: "Robin Shadlow"

Thu Jan 1, 2009 12:36 pm (PST)

Really interesting seedlings Chuck, thank you for posting them for us.
06-618-3’s pattern is something I’ve never seen, that’s for sure.

Am not sure I am reaching the same conclusion on this cross though.
Understudy as a non-yellow would be iiii, but are you thinking that
Ring Around Rosie is Iiii because it is expressing the yellow rims?

I agree that you would expect half the seedlings from an iiii x Iiii
cross to have anthocyanin inhibited and be yellow, pink, orange etc…
And be selfs or amoenas since the carotene rim pattern is recessive.

But RAR does have anthocyanin expressed doesn’t it?  That would make it
iiii as well.  iiii would tell us it would be a non-yellow, but the
iiii can have any number or carotene patterns underlying the
anthocyanin pattern, right?  Your seedlings all express anthocyanin, so
it would seem that both Understudy and Ring Around Rosie would be
iiii.  It doesn’t look like Understudy carries the recessive gene for
the carotene rims that RAR is expressing under the anthocyanin pattern,
though it’s a small sample, with more seedlings, you might see it pop

RAR is a fun20parent.  Ernst has gotten some interesting things crossing
RAR or its sibs with Amarillo Frills.  Barry Blyth's Fancy A Flutter is
also from RAR.  Not sure what exactly is going on with its anthocyanin
pattern.  Intense inbreeding may not always produce great results, but
Rick's efforts with the RAR cross certainly did pay off.

Robin Shadlow

Zone 5    NE

JPEG image

JPEG image