Re: PHOTOS: Betwixt, Bordeaux Blue, Brassie

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] PHOTOS: Betwixt, Bordeaux Blue, Brassie
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:20:40 -0700

You wrote:   Is there a law, federal or state, that states that when shipping plants they must be state inspected and quaranteened prior to shipping?

No. I obtained my shipping permit and it was several years after that before I was inspected for the first time. That inspection was over a year ago. There is no quananteen unless a problem is reported or found. Since I have not been in that situation, I do not know the details about how quananteens work. I do know quaranteens can be individual site or regional as we have both types. My daughter worked at a nursery that was quaranteened because of a pest in a shipment from a supplier. Periodically California has regional quaranteens for things like the Meditrainian fruit fly or Japanese beetle.

When shipping out of country, a phytosanitary certificate is required. That usually but occassionaly maynot involve an inspection of the shipment. This is based on limited experience.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 11:42 AM

Hi all,

Betwixt, to me, is a really nice color combination, grape-red-white. The only drawback to it is that it always has a leaf or two that has a brown spot on it.

Bordeaux Blue was ordered from a catalog description and was not seen before ordering. Unfortunately it was not what I was expecting. Would be willing to trade this SDB for another one. However, that brings up another subject. Is there a law, federal or state, that states that when shipping plants they must be state inspected and quaranteened prior to shipping?

Brassie was photographed at the Detroit Zoo one rainy Saturday morning. Once seen was deemed a "must have".

Regards, Martin, Birmingham Mi, Zone 5, 85 and 57% humidity...

Do You Yahoo!?
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/