Re: Newbie

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Newbie
  • From: Janet LaClair <moonkusser94@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello and welcome.
Whenever I wonder if my gardens are in need of soil tweaking or improvements I do a simply check of it's content.
Dig up about 1 to 2 cups of soil and place in a large glass jar to the half way point.  Fill jar to top with water and close lid tightly.  Now shake (not stir, we're not making martini's here).  Let contents settle for 24 hours and you should be able to see specific layers of what your garden soil exists of.
If your layers aren't equal you'll know what to add.  This is an age old technique so maybe you've done it already, but if you haven't give it a try.

millsmithpoultry@aol.com wrote:
Hello all:
I'm in need of some helpful advise that I'm sure many of you could offer.  I'm very new at growing Iris' but in a couple years now have almost 400 varieties (counting the ones scheduled to be shipped this month) and need to know many things but especially at this time about soil requirements.
Last year I built a raised bed for my Iris order and had "top soil" brought in for the bed as I was told this was best.  Although, the rhizomes look good and are of good size, the leaves do not look all that healthy.  They have a yellowish green color to them with some spotting beginning to develop.  The Iris I already had that are in a flower bed of more organic soil have very green leaves with no spotting or anything.  Which soil is best?  I need to order for my new beds and want to make sure I'm getting the right soil.
I remember someone telling me that the more "green" you have the less flowers you'll get.  I don't know if she meant the color of the leaves or the quantity of them.
Please help.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here