Re: HYB: Spartan

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Spartan
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:59:44 -0400

Seeing the photo of 'Spartan' sent me digging through the Check Lists.  Sadly, only one side of the parentage is published, but I am sure I see the influence of Melvina Suiter's 'Tomeco'  in the unpublished side.
I know that Schreiners had--and used--'Tomeco' in their red lines.  It had incredibly smooth hafts, being solid red right up to the claw.  With its excellent ancestry combining several red lines plus a red plicata, 'Tomeco' offered a lot of potential.  'Spartan' almost surely has it in its ancestry.  There is certainly a family resemblance.
Riverview lists 'Tomeco' this year.  It may be another one that might thrive for you, Chris, and even survive the "Vale" conditions, Linda.  If I weren't so tight for space, I'd be tempted to order it for old times' sake myself.  Mel Suiter was one of my mentors.
'Tomeco' fared very well in the Florence competitions, as well as gaining an AM in the US.  I even saw it recently in pedigree from England.  The cv is still out there, carrying on despite its considerable age.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links