Re: Help matching photos to names !

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Help matching photos to names !
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:23:54 -0000

Hi Beth.  That's a bummer about your labels.  I don't know how much you'll be
able to figure out, but I've got some guesses for you.  Keep in mind I'm no
expert.

#5 looks very much like Mer du Sud.

#3 looks the most like Midnight Caller, but it's hard to be sure.

If any of them is Midnight Revelry I'd vote for #1, which is closer in form
than #4 to my eye, but it's really uncertain.

It may be that none of these is Last Hurrah, which is supposed to bloom after
the others are done.  And none of the photos matches its near-white beard.

I don't think any of them is Blue Velvet.  That was introduced in 1929 and
must look more old fashioned than any of these.

Good luck!

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah, home of G. Q. Cannon, zone 4/5, about 6,000 feet
last bloom was on Mary D. a week or two ago

Beth Adams <badams007@yahoo.com> said:

> --0-286412372-1152064541=:44789
>
> Can you help match these photos to variety names ?  I bought almost all the
plants in this section of my garden from Schreiners

>   OK - I had a labeling disaster this past winter.  I have attached photos
of 6 varieties I do not have the names for (and one comparing the colors).

>   The names which should match these plants are:
>
>   Last Hurrah
>   Mer Du Sud
>   Midnight Revelry
>   Blue Velvet
>   Midnight Caller
>   and one lost name :-(
>
>   The comparison shot shows the following plants starting from the upper
left and moving right:

>   4
>   2
>   small whitish one is Blackbeard
>   5 is against the beam
>   3 in front of that
>   6 - closest on righthand side of photo
>
>   I sure hope you can help !
>
>   Beth Adams, Upstate NY
>

> "These birds and animals and fish cannot speak, but they can suffer, and our
God who created them, knows their sufferings, and will hold him who causes
them to suffer unnecessarily to answer for it. It is a sin against their
Creator." - George Q. Cannon

> ---------------------------------
> Sneak preview the  all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different. Just
radically better.

> This e-mail has been scanned by Cut.Net Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
Cut.Nets Content Service, visit http://www.cut.net
> --0-286412372-1152064541=:44789

> <DIV>Can you help match these photos to variety names ?&nbsp; I bought
almost all the plants in this section of my garden from Schreiners</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>OK - I had a labeling disaster this past winter.&nbsp;
I have attached photos of 6 varieties I do not have the names for (and one
comparing the colors).</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>The names which should
match these plants are:</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Last Hurrah</DIV>
<DIV>Mer Du Sud</DIV>  <DIV>Midnight Revelry</DIV>  <DIV>Blue Velvet</DIV>
<DIV>Midnight Caller</DIV>  <DIV>and one lost name :-(</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>The comparison shot shows the following plants
starting from the upper left and moving right:</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>4</DIV>  <DIV>2</DIV>  <DIV>small whitish one is Blackbeard</DIV>  <DIV>5
is against the beam</DIV>  <DIV>3 in front of that</DIV>  <DIV>6 - closest on
righthand side of photo</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>I sure hope you can
help !</DIV>
>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Beth Adams, Upstate NY</DIV><BR><BR><DIV><FONT
color=#40007f>"These birds and animals and fish cannot speak, but they can
suffer, and our God who created them, knows their sufferings, and will hold
him who causes them to suffer unnecessarily to answer for it. It is a sin
against their Creator." - George Q. Cannon</FONT></DIV><p>&#32;

>               <hr size=1>Sneak preview the <a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40762/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview";> all-new
Yahoo.com</a>. It's not radically different. Just radically better.

Cut.Nets Content Service, visit http://www.cut.net<BR>