Re: Opinions Please?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Opinions Please?
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:02:17 -0000

Speaking of soaking, I soak them at least overnight in enough water to almost
cover the rhizomes (don't want to cover the crowns, or whatever you'd call
them) and then leave the roots in a quarter inch of water until I get them in
the ground, even if it takes a couple days.  I use big roater pans so they
aren't too crowded.  If I'm delayed even more, I've dried them for a day and
then put the roots back in to soak again with good results.  (I once got a
couple hundred at once, and my car broke down and I was away from my garden
for three days and had to expand beds, so it took me a couple weeks to plant
them all.)  Good luck.

Kent

Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mts.net> said:

> Linda, the rhizomes we receive usually look like the ones you're concerned
about.  Soak them in water for about 30 min and plant them, monitoring them
daily.  If they don't survive, then I'd sure want a refund or at least
replacements.

> El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3
> MIS & DIS Display Garden

CA.  I was so terrible disappointed with one of the orders that I called the
company in question to request a refund.  She assured me that the rhizomes in
question would grow....just to plant them and I would be pleasantly surprised
in the spring.  I have been growing iris for over 25 years and I have been
hybridizing for about 3 years.  I have never ever seen iris that look this
bad.

>   I would love to know if you think the iris on the right side of the
enclosed photo will grow.  These are iris from the 2 different companies that
I received from.  I sent this picture to the company when I requested a
refund.  She politely told me to just plant the iris, but did not want to
refund my money.  Is there a chance that these might grow in your personal
opinions???????????????????

>   In Doubt in Lascassas
>   Linda
>
>   ps:  I deliberately did not mention the companies names because I am not
in the business of making trouble for anyone.  My concern is just going to the
trouble to plant all of these iris and getting nothing in return.

> This e-mail has been scanned by Cut.Net Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
Cut.Nets Content Service, visit http://www.cut.net

--

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM