Re: HYB: American Sweetheart

  • Subject: Re: HYB: American Sweetheart
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donald,
You're right - I wanted to include 'American Sweetheart' in my hybridizing because of the intense pbf (purple-based-foliage - for the unfamiliar). As a bonus, it does have a pretty and eye-catching flower.
Next season I'll try some different pollen parents with it, now that I know it's not impossible. I'll let you know what else works, if any.

And as for seeing any iris in bloom right now... that's exactly why I've been so starstruck and keep posting picture after picture of 'Cricket Song'. I go out and look at it every morning before I head off to work. Looks like it's going to last out the rest of this week. And speaking of grasshoppers... I found out that irises blooming this time of year, in addition to heat and dryness, have a whole host of different beasties to contend with. The earwigs have been a real pain in the ... and I think grasshoppers (or some other kind of large insect) have also been chewing up the flowers making it very difficult to do any crosses on these late blooms.

I'm sure we've got nothing like the heat and dryness down in your part of the country, but still we're having it pretty dry right now for here (even if unseasonably cooler and less humid). I've noticed that the ground all around has 1/4 inch cracks where it's shrunken from dryness and the grass has already turned completely brown anywhere the soil is thin.

So do you get fall rebloom down there or does the heat and dryness (and grasshoppers) prevent any of that?

Re: HYB: American Sweetheart

From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:39:14 -0000

Thanks Tom. It did, sure 'nuff. Hope some of those seeds result in plants. I believe you're using it due to the pbf? The bloom colors are so intense and worked so well in the Texas sun, that I kept trying to get seeds and never got anything. IMO the form needs a bit of work, but the bloom color made a statement from any distance. My poor results and no registered descendants made me wonder if it worked. Maybe the form or something else about any progeny kept it from showing up. And it may be picky.

BTW, I simply can't imagine seeing any iris in bloom at this time of year. Everything is turning yellow due to the heat and sun. Also the grasshoppers are taking their usual chunks out of the fans. Wonder how bad they'll be by the end of summer.