Re: BABY BLUE MARINE

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: BABY BLUE MARINE
  • From: laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:29:04 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., edeninme@a... wrote:
> is baby blue marine a rather short iris, about maybe a foot tall?

BBM is an intermediate bearded which, by definition, blooms at a 16-28"
height.  Of course, growing and weather conditions can cause irises to bloom
considerably shorter than their full potential.

> about 3 years ago i got a few rhizomes, which i have pictued on my
> picture trail site, which i call rain-washed for want of a better
> name, in a trade. was told they were a dwarf iris, but they seem to
> be pretty big for a dwarf. being fairly new to iris collecting, i'm
> not sure of the difference between an intermediate & a border.

I'm not sure about the difference between IB and BB either, except that IB is
supposed to bloom between the SDB and TB, and BB is supposed to bloom
with the TB.  Of course, there's considerably overlap between bloom periods
for the different bearded classifications.

> hope they are the same, i much prefer to have the correct name for a
> plant

If there's one thing I've learned from all the experts on iris-talk, it's that one
really cannot name an iris based solely on comparisons between photos
shared over different computer monitors.  If you think you might be growing
BBM, your best bet is to purchase a "true" BBM and grow it side by side with
your unknown so you can make real-life comparisons under identical growing
conditions over the next year or two.

Happy irising,

Laurie