Re: SPEC: Setosa - light blue

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPEC: Setosa - light blue
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:38:59 -0700

I. setosa does best for me in undrained 1/2 wine barrels. They
are undrained so they retain water well (and are only suited for
plants that really like moisture). Afternoon shade seems helpful.
The native soil here is clay that cracks badly in the summer unless
well watered. The barrels provide a better habitat for setosas.
Of course, you need a garden to which you are willing to add
large planters.

   Ken Walker
   Concord, CA USA
   USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14

lilylvr wrote:

Hi Christy,I am in Kansas. In a normal summer here things just bakes in August. The ground here makes huge cracks you can break a leg in where it is not watered and smaller ones where it is watered.  Very few things survive without any water. Bearded Iris do and some daylilies. Peonies have always been a favorite in this area along with trumpet vine and bittersweet. Indian Paintbrush and devils horn esclespias are natives and thrive here.  All other full sun plants in my garden require watering just to stay alive and moisture lovers sometimes cook. I am just afraid to try them.Wendy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor