Re: cameras..

Try this site, since you are out in the boonies.. I have been too, so i know
what's it's like.. this site is a popular one with pro's and amt., you most likly
get a better price anywhere, it's the first place to look..
http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=BackToRoot__ALeftNavBar_html___SID=E790A4B9F20

here are some other sites to look at..
you have the power of the internet.. why not just use it?

nature gallery.. that includes Irises.. http://www.naturephotogallery.com/
where to get lost manuals... http://www.craigcamera.com/
also..
http://www.thecameraclub.com/cgi-local/shop/web_store.cgi
http://www.flashcube.com/store/menu.html

http://www.cameraworld.com/cwc/main/home.jsp
my pro's page..http://www.ppa.com/
a good org. ..http://www.nanpa.org/
http://www.leppphoto.com/
http://www.photonaturalist.com/
http://web2.superb.net/beauvais/photo/travtips/
http://www.photoresource.com/
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/consumer/pictureTaking/
http://photography.about.com/arts/photography/
http://www.shutterbug.net/
http://www.88.com/exposure/
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/photography-courses.htm
http://www.decorphoto.com/tips.htm
digital tips, you should know.. http://www.nyip.com/tips/digital2_19.html
Book store..
http://www.photosecrets.com/bookstore.html
pop mag.. good articles..
http://www.hotwww.com/hotwww/stores/magazines/popularphoto.htm
Works the same for Irises.. http://www.calphoto.com/phototip.htm

Two of the best Tripods.. http://www.bogenphoto.com/
and http://www.gitzo.com/
there is none better..
And you should always use one..

galleries..
 http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/6036/gallery.htm
http://www.naturephotogallery.com/
http://www.jonathonart.com/index.html
http://www.photographymuseum.com/
http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/

other stuff..
Digital.. http://www.shortcourses.com/ and ... http://www.digitaltruth.com/
http://www.all-photography.com/indx_1.html
Camera reviwes.. http://www.photographyreview.com/
http://www.apogeephoto.com/
http://www.eastman.org/
stock photography... http://www.photosource.com/
http://www.oneworldjourneys.com/

those are a few of many that I have..

Now about that scanner..
 normal scanner to my knowledge, do not have enough resoulution to do good scans
of negs or slides, ( using a flat top scanner) The one I used at  at my old
college could do negs, in a special holder ( Agfia ) which was really good, it did
B/w  as well.
you can get good prints with the right film , if you take the time to learn how,
it's not that hard..

R.J.