Re: [iris-talk] COMP: Virus - Bogus email

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: [iris-talk] COMP: Virus - Bogus email
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:37:11 -0700

I think it is time for a summary and closure on this topic.

The Klez virus (and probably some soon to hit us variations on the same)
creates totally bogus email messages.

You *cannot* tell who they come from unless the sender happens to have a
fixed IP address and then it takes some doing. Just looking at the
message headers will not help you. All the email address information is fraudulent.

It does no good to post an "I got this bogus message from XXX YYYYY"
message. It does not help anyone else.

The only way to protect yourself is to have a good virus checker and
*HAVE IT UPDATE ITS VIRUS DEFINITIONS FREQUENTLY*   Daily would be good.
Everytime you log on to the internet is best!

If there were a way for me to require (and enforce) everyone on
iris-talk and iris-photos having a virus checker, believe me I would.

Yahoo does not scan messages for viruses.

It is best to use plain text *not HTML* to send messages.

If you have questions please send them to me privately. It is time to
take this topic off iris-talk and iris-photos.

Thx

John (list owner)        | "There be dragons here"
http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: