Re: Pigment changes

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Pigment changes
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:03:14 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Barss <bardraj@h...> wrote:
> I have never seen this happen before.  This is Chubby Cheeks (SDB) with
> a little difference.
> What would cause this type of pigment change ?
>
> Sandra

This sort of thing is more common then you think. I have recorded
about 15 incidents in my garden so far this year, (took pics of them
all). But then I have a lot of flowers to look at.
This is an exmple of Chisma (spelling?). I see it as being caused by a
error in gene seperation during growth so one gene is left out and
another duplicated. This usuually  only shows in part of a flower but
sometimes this change occurs farther down in the plant and a whole new
plant is split off. I have documented a few of these, complete with
photos of where the two different plants join a mother rhizome. The
most dramatic is a red flowered plant split off of Apache Carpet which
is yellow eith red eyelash spot. The red clone seems to be an MDB
whereas Apache Carpet is a SDB.

So far this year I have noted three new clones in my garden, and
suspect a few others. Some plants are more susceptable to this then
others, eg: broken colour varieties. At this moment I sem to have
three clones of Batik. One very dark, almost black, with a few black
streaks, looking much like my BC, B&W SDb. One is normal Batik, and
another has 1/2 of each flower a normal Batik and one half a narrow
plicata edge on white.
I suspect the large number this year is related to weather variations.

Chuck Chapman

Wireless Video Surveillance
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jWIEhC/90OGAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM