Re: SPU:culture/LAs

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPU:culture/LAs
  • From: "Hensler" hensler@povn.net
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:00:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Dickow" <dickow@uidaho.edu>

> would say that the hybrids are not finicky at all, though Iris orientalis
> (the old white spuria also aliased as ochroleuca) is particularly
> under any treatment.

(Oh well, I can't grow Louisianas here
> at all)

You're certainly right about S. orientalis... it's one I'd classify as a
glorious weed.

The species forms seem to do well here, but the hybrids have been
disappointing. Fortunately, I have only a couple of them but one has
persisted for 7 years without a hint of trying to bloom.

I'm curious about why you don't think you can grow LAs.

Keeping enough water and nutrients in our sandy soil has been a problem here
(solved by lining a few 2' deep beds with heavy plastic) but BLACK GAMECOCK
and I. fulva dwarf form have managed to do well without extra care.

BTW, most of the LAs are perfectly hardy to z4. :-)

Christy Hensler

Skip & Christy Hensler
Newport, WA