CULT: Space-Age Bud-Sheaths?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CULT: Space-Age Bud-Sheaths?
  • From: "Katherine Cordes" <acordes@freeway.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:50:43 -0400

Good Morning!
These two photos are both of the same clump, HONKY TONK BLUES, which is not a space-age iris.  But there are "horns" protruding out of the bud sheaths of the flowers!  Every stalk has these small protrusions coming out of them, not just these two.
I haven't seen any other iris in my garden doing this phenomenon, and was wondering what it means.  This clump of Honky Tonk  is one of the healthiest in my garden, too.
Do any of you have an idea of what could be going on?
Region 6
Zone 4.5
Hillman, Michigan

JPEG image