Re: [iris] Torchlight Parade

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: [iris] Torchlight Parade
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:25:18 -0400

Dave -- Thanks for the bloom report.  If planted in full sun, TORCHLIGHT PARADE should eventually "bust loose", give you 8 or more buds and multiply strongly.  It was a slow starter here, too, as I have probably mentioned.
I like your garden arrangement idea and only wish I had the space to do likewise.  I have AMIGO and AMIGO'S GUITAR, but have never tried to use them in hybridizing.  WABASH is fertile both ways, although its seed production is sparse, in my experience.  TORCHLIGHT PARADE is pollen potent, as you can see from the list of sprouts I posted earlier today.  I'm not sure if I've ever tried to set seed on it.
I'm attaching a photo of 985R4, from which I have 6 just-sprouted seedlings with TORCHLIGHT PARADE as the pollen parent.  I'm hoping for something wild as a result.
Since you like the old velvets and seem to be willing to work with them, I'd encourage you to get hold of some pieces of TRUDY, which is another recessive amoena, and cross it with WABASH.  You'll get jewel colors.  I dropped that line because of space problems and have always regretted it.  --  Griff
zone 7 in Virginia