Re: Re: [iris] Torchlight Parade

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: [iris] Torchlight Parade
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:04:24 -0400

Dave  --  Sorry for the delay in responding  --  attributable to a continuing computer problem.  KAHILI is a full-sized TB and is itself a WABASH descendant through GAYLORD.  Here is the description from the checklist:
    (Schreiners, R. `61). N-954-1. TB, 35", M-L,, Y4R.
    "S clear gold-yellow; F deep maroon, no haft markings. Broadway Star X Gaylord. HM `62. Schreiners `61."
    As you can see from the description, it is a variegata and a bold one.  TORCHLIGHT PARADE took WABASH's size when crossed with KAHILI, but got KAHILI's looks.  TP, however, is more floriferous than either of its parents.
    TRUDY is a tan amoena with a tremendously rich heritage behind it.  My crosses of it with WABASH didn't produce any tan amoenas, but did result in pretty blue velvet and red-violet velvet amoenas, as well as several pretty bitones.  Typically, however, seed production was very sparse and germination was poor.  Maybe you can find it through HIPS.
    985R4 is not the one I call "Red Wabash".   985R4 resulted from a bee cross on 953P12 (HOLY NIGHT x 93RR2: (MARGARITA x MOMAUGUIN)).  It sets seed readily and is also pollen potent.  Right now I have 3 pods on it from various seedlings and LADY FRIEND, and a pod on LADY FRIEND from it.  All are reds.  What I'm looking for is better stature and just a bit better flower form, while keeping that rich red velvet.  --  Griff