Re: Flat SA TB: My Darling Scatterbrain

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Flat SA TB: My Darling Scatterbrain
  • From: Sterling Okase <sterling_o@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps the
> great pleasure came from gettin' photos from one who
> had grown enough, and
> observed enough to provide both information and
> photos in a knowledgeable way.

*blush* Thank you very much Bill, I really appreciate
the compliment. I am glad to hear others are
interested in them and appreciate the info though, I
am no expert by any means. I guess in my fascination
of breeding flat blooming and novelty irises I have
hunted, collected and grown quite a few of them.  I
have discovered that quite a few of them do not bloom
as advertised, many have messed up blooms that don't
open properly such as Calamity Jane.

Also, as a side note, a lot of them don't produce
viable pollen and are pod sterile, like Mother Nature
is saying "No!" to more flat bloomers. This year I
found pollen on Rhythm, Little Freak, Clematis and
Fran's Flattie so I did a few crosses with them on
diploid and tetraploid varieties. Most of the crosses
did not take but I managed to get a few pods with
Clematis and Rhythm pollen on Cybernet which is a
diploid (I think... it has a tetraploid parent way
back in it's parentage). We will see what comes from
these crosses. They might just be bee pods that I
pollenated over

> sterling_o@yahoo.com writes:
> > I just remembered one more that I grew.

Oh, and one more flat blooming iris that I grew is
Amaryllis. Another one that grew well but didn't open
properly for me.

> Here your have gained the title "Earnest Flat
> Expert".

hmmm... is that anything like the Earnie Flatt

Seattle, WA. zone 8

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links