Re: zone 1 Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] zone 1 Iris
  • From: crook <zone1_5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:49:46 -0700 (PDT)

 Robt R Pries wrote:
> Dear Darm; I am really interested in what types of
> Irises you can grow. I have never talked to anyone
> from zone 1.

 I don`t have many; a few years ago I put in some
[4]Siberians, they have done fine. Last year I
acquired Pixie Princess and Iris Cristata as well as
one other. They have all survived and increased with
Pixie Princess showing the least amount of fan
increase. The unknown has fans up to eight inches but
no signs of budding out. Cristata isn`t budding out
yet either.

 When I venture into growing a new plant type in my
area I take it fairly slow until I can figure out what
will make our winters and how to treat them here to
give them the best possible chance of making the
winters. To me a plant hasn`t survived our winter
unless it comes back and flowers.

Darm S. Crook
Zone 1 maybe 1.5
Hay River NWT.