Re: Re: tetraploid BB: Keeper with scale

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: tetraploid BB: Keeper with scale
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:36:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
Keeper is a tetraploid Border Bearded iris from Jim
and Vicki Craig. It is a very, very ruffled cultivar
that is blooming at just 22 inches tall. The flowers
are proportionately small but they are so round and
ruffled that in a photograph it just looked like a
tall bearded iris to me. That's why I used a quarter
for scale, so the listers can see just how small the
flower is. When I first saw this growing as a seedling
in the Craig's garden I couldn't believe my eyes.
This, I think, is the closest anyone has come to
developing a truly modern looking Miniature Tall
Bearded cultivar. Departure also has ruffled modern
form but the flowers are bigger and it's a taller

Seattle, WA zone 8

--- Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:

> Sterling, that's sometimes the size TBs blooms here.
>  I don't know if
> KEEPER is supposed to be that small, but I've seen
> weather have a that
> kind of dramatic effect on some cultivars here.
> adorable that size, as were some of the others.
> Sometimes, the entire
> stalk is miniaturized, usually the number of buds
> and branching is also
> greatly reduced.
> Most amazing to me is that sometimes stalks with
> blooms this size can be
> loaded with fertile pollen.
> My guess has been that it's too much warmth and dry
> weather as stalks
> are developing.
> Watch out for rot if it starts raining a lot after
> it's been dry enough
> to shrink blooms.
> <Here is a picture of Keeper with a quarter for
> scale. Sterling
> Seattle, WA. zone 8>
> --
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8