Re: Playing with historics

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Playing with historics
  • From: "Anna Smith" goatcreek@keremeos.net
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:39:11 -0700

I have not even tried to set pods on my Rameses...have a ton of it and ONLY leave it as it smells wonderful, and is a vigorous plant. I did use pollen on a couple other this year, just because my blooming was so poor, and it looked like it could be interesting. I had a tough year getting pollen on my Iris that did bloom too...half of the really fancy ones just did NOT have any pollen at all...so I covered them with ones like Brindled Beauty ( I LOVE that one!), Zebra (got to get some varigateds in other colors than ... blue), Batik. Looks like almost ALL I pollinated set really good pods too. The only 2 that look like they missed were 2 of the first to bloom, a very short bearded yellow with brown splashes (must be historic, came out of beds over 50 years old!), and a NOID pale BB pink. And transplanted lots of Enchanted One X Swazi Princess seedlings from last year....But am sure mine are all done now, and didnt even have half bloom....not even my Bewilderbeast, which I was SOOO looking forward to.
in southern BC