Re: Cult: hafts

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Cult: hafts
  • From: Laurie Flynn amnemachin@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:40:54 -0700 (PDT)

Griff -

Great response, thanks.  I just wasn't sure if it's aesthetic trend, or if haft marks are associated with some sort of flaw or weakness to the flower, such as poor form.  Sounds like it's the former.

Thanks again,
Laurie

jgcrump <jgcrump@erols.com> wrote:
Laurie  --  I think it's undeniable that some flowers look very nice without haft marks.   I think the progression has been from with-haft-marks to without-haft-marks, so, falls without haft marks represent an "improvement".  We're all for improvements, aren't we?  Especially if we are judges.  So, cultivars without hafts become the "in" thing, and hafts become "bad".   At least, that's my theory on how we got to where we are.  It's sort of like the fashion world.  Yesterday's knockout is today's old hat.  But beauty is beauty, as far as I am concerned, and if haft marks contribute to the beauty of a flower, they are welcome.  One of our great musicians (Lionel Hampton? Duke Ellington? ) said it best:  "If it sounds good, it is good."  So, if it looks good, it is good.  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia