Re: Cult: hafts

In a message dated 6/6/2005 8:56:59 PM Central Daylight Time, amnemachin@yahoo.com writes:

I was wondering if you would mind clarifying this issue for me.  Why are haft marks so undesirable, even 'detrimental', when hybridizing?

Once upon a time in a land far away lived an astute hybridizer.
He was not much different from others in the land. Indeed, he was similar to all other men of the same or different endeavors.

What was not, he wanted to be. What was, he wanted not to be. He dreamed. He dreamed of what was not, but what could be.

Wise he was too, in the nature of man. He felt the same insatiable need to alter things as all men did. He watched dozers clear land removin' all trees. Contractors building houses and sellin' nude yards. He watched proud home owners drag out water hoses and plant thumb sized sprigs callin' 'em trees, never knowin' bout the giant ones that once had been.

He said, "Now hummmm... here is a game for me.

I'll get with the judges and powers that be. I'll lean on all of 'em's heard mentality. I'll plant some seed, I know they will grow. In minds I'll plant them, seed in the ground is too slow.

So some chatter he got started that took on a life all its own. Could be the hybridizer had something haftless in the pipe or up on the bench. Such facts aren't known that is for sure but this is a tale and facts need not be true. He stepped up the chatter, kept up the spin, aptly and deftly convencing other men. He talked about ugly. He spoke of unsightly, distracting, and such. How hafts messed up clear colors and detracted from beard colors he did not overlook. When he spoke "Hafty" he spoke "Hafty" with sneer.

Finally the crew got all climbed on board. They toured the land parroting his tale of haft woe and dispare. The hybridizer began leadin' the parade struttin' and such. He had 'em all lined up much as do ducks.

Finally, as in all fairy tale lore, the voice of a child was heard above the crowds roar. Sayin' he was in a Southern type way, "Hey yawl, Look! The king, I mean hybridizer, ain't wearin' no cloths." Course at this point we know the hybridizers among 'em did stammer, stutter, and look sheepish as sin. And the ducks? What did they do? Like was always their way, they did nothin' but flutter.

Laughin',
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links