HYB: Helen et al, detached falls

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: Helen et al, detached falls
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:35:55 -0400

Before I pulled the falls off and compared them next to one another, I
thought both of the bee kids had wider falls and fewer haft marks.

Turns out that both kids have falls that are wider at the widest point,
but both are actually <narrower> where they attach.

Just looking at the falls, I wouldn't have thought HELEN's hafts would
look so much more heavily veined than the two kids, but definitely looks
that way on the intact flower.  I'm learning that the appearance of
hafts is not only due to what's actually there, but also by background
color, where the fall 'breaks' into downward fall, as well as how much
the ruffling of the standards hides the hafts.

Am learning that "width" (i.e., appearance of width) is a function of
the shape (outline) of the entire fall as well as how it 'falls'.

Note that the redder seedling has so much substance that the fall won't
lie flat on the bench to have its picture taken.  The fall of the other
seedling is just as 'heavy' feeling, but is a bit more flexible.  I
actually prefer the more flexible substance - holds up better in our
weather if it has a bit of give.  HELEN is the floppiest.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8