HYB: Helen et al, detached falls

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: Helen et al, detached falls
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:18:06 -0400

Linda, that is a very good visual presentation of something hard to convey
in just words.

You made several very important points (applying to non-glaciatas and
luminatas)--

--that apparent freedom from haft-marks depends upon how much of the fall is
hidden by the standards as well as how far out onto the fall the marks
extend.  This is really important!  *All* falls (and standards) have basal
markings--except glaciatas and luminatas.

--that apparent "width" depends on the outline of the fall.  All fall (and
standard) petals are quite narrow at the "claw" (zone of attachment to the
perianth tube connecting the petal part of the flower to ovary) but abruptly
widen at some point as they extend outward from the attachment.

The biggest difference between "wide" modern irises and the old "narrow"
classics lies primarily in how close to the inner end of the claw the abrupt
widening occurs.

--it also makes a difference how wide the petals are relative to their
length, as you point out.  Long oval petals do not give the impression of
width.

Round petals give the impression of substantial width. Overlapping falls are
a novelty, and may not always be our best choice.  For now, they are very
appealing.

Petals that are oval but wider across than they are the long direction look
peculiar in a bearded iris.  They are "fat" without grace, rather than wide
and full.

Such forms in a Siberian or Japanese, however, look good, oddly.  Why?  I
think mostly because the "ensata-form" (flat) irises are seen in a different
way from the beardeds with upward arching standards with a size comparable
to the falls.

"Ensata-form" beardeds are seen more like one would see Siberians and JI's
and allow wide, but short petals to be acceptable.

Am I being picky? I suppose.  It really is a matter of formed (pardon the
pun) taste or prejudice.  I thought the old ones like SHAH JEHAN were
spectacular in their day.  Or BLUE RHYTHM--the form of which would hit the
compost pile the moment it bloomed in our modern seedling patches--yet it
was also spectacular in its day.

Now, even, we have taken a new look at markings on the fall and have learned
not only to accept them, but to see them in a completely new way, thanks
largely to Barry Blyth.  The same could be said about the "ensata-form" (not
nearly so offensive a name to one who has been called "fattey" himself far
too many times, but no longer thanks to the seventy pounds given
unintentionally to medical science in the past few years).  Not all gardners
are thin, but where would one be found who would object to the
"Ensata"-shaped flower?

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains