Re: Re: Pfauenuage & Romeo

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re: Pfauenuage & Romeo
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:21:02 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:21:03 -0600

I have no idea where I got this photo, it may have come with my computer.  It is not mine.  It IS the butterfly most commonly called the 'Peacock' or 'Pfauenauge' (though there are others).  The zoological name is Aglais io (alternatively often put in the genera Inachis or Nymphalis).
Sorry, my computer is acting up tonight, so this photo is not attached in the usual way.  Hope it comes through.
I've been trying to imagine an Iris with a similar color pattern, and the thing that comes to mind is "STRIKING".  It would certainly be a standout, and would have color combinations that would be to die for.
This is a common Eurasian species of butterfly, but only occurs in the US as a rare escape, or in collections / captivity.
Our closest relative is the Milbert's Tortoiseshell - Aglais milbertii. The other Tortoiseshells, the Mourning Cloak, and the Angle-wings (ie. the Comma, Zephyr, Fawn, and Question Mark) are also closely related.  None are as striking as the Peacock.

Yahoo! Groups Links