{Disarmed} Re: AB: Gay Stripes

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] AB: Gay Stripes
  • From: "Francesca Thoolen" arilpums@comcast.net
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:21:59 -0700

Hi Chris, Thank you for the photo of Gay Stripes. It will be a nice addition to the ASI Illus. Cklist. We did not have one.  According to the Historic Preservation Iris Society's Checklist of Arils and Arilbreds [thru 1996]:  "... Tell  [hybridizer] identifies the parents as "two one-fourth Onco-blooded seedlings of C.G. White's..." ...but the '76 committee classified it as an OB in the quantum system ...". Please let us know if and when you do get seeds from crosses involving Gay Stripes. This will let us know if the two 1/4 onco parents' genes 'doubled' and that may be the reason it was classifed as an OB instead of OB-. This is why we need some fresh younger eyes who can learn to count chromosomes under the microscope. This would eliminate a lot of guess work and help those who need to know. Wish you much luck in this endeavor with Gay Stripes.