Re: Approaching "bloomout"

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Approaching "bloomout"
  • From: little bit littlebit63_38024@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:30:46 -0700 (PDT)

 I had several irises that had this happen with them
also. One I really didn't care about but the others
were newer introductions. Without my notes I think it
was a total of 4 different plants.
 What I did was completely strip off everything that
would hold water(thinking about rot) and cut the stalk
back just a little.I left most of the stalk attached.
 My bloom has been over for a month and I noticed the
other day when I was out there that 2 of them do have
little bitty increases coming up on the sides, so I am
hopeful that they will make it. As for the other
ones..I didn't see anything on them so but I didn't
dig around at the base to see if I could see anything.
Think I will go out tomorrow and do a closer
inspection and see what is going on with them.
  The reason I tried this was because I figured I
didn't have anything to lose.

--- Lawrence & Helen Lacey <lacey@avalon.net> wrote:

>   Apologies if this has been discussed recently.  At
> stalk cutting
> time I discovered two 2005 TB plantings with no
> visible increase.
> Conventional wisdom is they are toast.  Nevetheless,
> I am wondering
> if anyone has
> any tricks to stimulate side bud formation before
> the blooming
> rhizome dies?  What about leaving the stalk with
> associated leaves
> intact vs breaking the stalk off?  Water?
> Lawrence Lacey
> Sioux City, IA Zone 4B

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links