TB: HYB: Rebloom

  • Subject: TB: HYB: Rebloom
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:17:24 -0700

Here is a question that I believe Linda Smith asked a couple of weeks ago.  If she received an answer, I missed it.  Since it is a mystery to me also, I am repeating it.  Why does an iris that is not a rebloomer occasionally rebloom?

Here are two pictures I took in my selected seedling bed yesterday.  Regular bloom on these irises has been over for more than a month.  The first I have registered as Flight of Fairies.  Its parentage is Pond Lily X Cloudia.  In the five years it has bloomed here, it has never done this before.  The holes in it are from a bird.  The second is from Carnival Song X Fancy Woman.  I have had other irises which are not rebloomers send up a single flower in the center of a fan in an off season.  I don’t like that.  It just eliminates a rhizome, and this particular seedling doesn’t make many of those.

Perhaps some experienced iris grower can tell us why irises do this.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group