Re: Late maturing rhizome

  • Subject: Re: Late maturing rhizome
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:31:34 -0700

Hi Billy,
This is a photo taken under bright sunlight on May 1st.  The one I just sent was taken yesterday in late afternoon sun so the flower color appears darker.  The standards are actually a light apricot color.
 We use a more discriptive numbering system.  AH designates there is I. aphylla species in the background and probably many generations back: D = SDB: T = tall bearded:  M = Mixed genetics  i.e. ((TB x SDB) X AH)) or (Diploid MTB x AH) X IB)) and  S=  a species I. aphylla is one of the parents.   AH 17 L 12
Then the first number is the number we gave a particular cross when we planted the seed. The Letter in the middle indicates the year the cross was made and the last number in the number of the seedling that we selected in the cross. Many times we may set 4-5 pods off the same cross so may have close to or over 200 seedlings from one cross. When we decide to keep a seedling for further evaluation we number it according to it's location in the bed. In the case of AH17L12,  It has an tetraploid aphylla background, (both the pod and pollen parent)= AH: It was the 17th cross we planted from seed, it was hybridized in our 'L' year, and it was the 12th seedling that was planted out in that particular cross.

However, if you are just asking about the plastic tags we use to identify each cross .....they can be purchased at most farm supply businesses.  We purchase ours by the 1000's but you can often find them sold in bundles of 100.

<'Very nice flower!  What kind of labeling system are you using for your crosses.  Would love to see a better pic of it. Thanks.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Sexual Health